How you can take part in Remembrance
At the eleventh hour on the eleventh day of the eleventh month – we will remember them.
The Armistice, an agreement to end the fighting of the First World War as a prelude to peace negotiations, began at 11am on 11 November 1918.
To this day we mark Armistice Day around the United Kingdom with a two minute silence at 11am on the 11th day of the 11th month.
- Armistice Day - Friday 11 November 2022
- Remembrance Sunday - 13 November 2022
How can I take part in Remembrance?
Visit the Royal British Legion website.
Every year since 1919, the nation has paused for two minutes in silence remembering the millions of men and women from Britain and the Commonwealth who have served and sacrificed in defence of our democracy and way of life. Remembrance unites our communities across faiths, cultures, and generations, and we encourage you to take part in the two-minute silence and to engage with Remembrance in either traditional or new ways.
Details of events to be held in Surrey can be found on the Armed Forces Events calendar.
When we are informed of any parades or events in Elmbridge to commemorate Remembrance Sunday we will add them to this page. If you are aware of any events not referenced on this page please email email@example.com with the details.
- Walton-on-Thames - parade and wreath laying
- Sunday 13 November - The Mayor of Elmbridge will lay a wreath at the Esher War Memorial and then attend the service at Christ Church, Esher in the morning. He will also attend the wreath laying at the memorial in Weybridge and the service that follows at St James’s Church at 2.30pm.
- Sunday 13 November - The Cobham Branch of the Royal British Legion will march to St Andrew's Church for the annual Service of Remembrance. The service will commence at approximately 10.45am. The parade will gather in the car park opposite the British Legion and set off at 10.15am. After the service the parade will return to the Royal British Legion where refreshments will be available.
Where can I buy a poppy?
The Royal British Legion Poppy Appeal provides details of ways to get involved and support - from fundraising to ordering poppies and buying poppy merchandise from their Poppy Shop.