New Leader and Deputy Leader for Elmbridge
Sharing their Vision for Elmbridge
On Wednesday 17 May 2023, Elmbridge Borough Council met for its annual meeting.
At the meeting, Councillor Richard Williams was elected Mayor of Elmbridge for the year ahead, with Councillor Charu Sood as Deputy Mayor for the incoming year.
The meeting also elected Councillor Bruce McDonald as Leader of Elmbridge Borough Council and Councillor Simon Waugh as Deputy Leader of Elmbridge Borough Council.
Following their appointment Cllr McDonald and Cllr Waugh commented:
“We and our colleagues are committed to continuing our partnership in Administration. We have a shared vision for Elmbridge, are proud of what we have achieved so far and are conscious that we have much more still to do.
- We have set a balanced budget and put in place a £500,000 Cost of Living Crisis Fund to support those most in need in our borough.
- We have established an ambitious Transformation Programme so that we can meet Elmbridge’s needs into the future, and achieve our goals for Sustainable Elmbridge, including our net zero targets.
- We are working with businesses to help our local economy thrive in challenging times and supporting our High Streets - including through our Business Improvement District Programme.
- We will be taking our groundbreaking Draft Local Plan forward to the Planning Inspectors in the summer.
As an Administration we are focused on what matters most for the future of our borough. Our plans are ambitious, stretching beyond the year ahead, and we are committed to working together with our community, businesses and the Voluntary Sector to achieve the future our borough needs and deserves.”
The Elmbridge Cabinet appointments have been confirmed as follows:
- Leader / Policy & Transformation: Cllr Bruce McDonald
- Deputy Leader / Leisure, Culture and Commercial Strategy: Cllr Simon Waugh
- Climate Change & Sustainability: Cllr David Young
- Community Care: Cllr Gill Coates
- Environmental Services: Cllr Ashley Tilling
- Finance and Resources: Cllr Mike Rollings
- Housing: Cllr Alex Batchelor
- Planning, Enterprise and Local Economy: Cllr Robin Stephens